Thursday, August 13, 2015

Oceans and kayaks and school, Oh My!

As I sit on my patio this morning typing this blog and reflecting on my summer, the world feels a little quieter.  Its breathing is a little deeper.  Its heart beats a little slower.  My tree shelters me from the stifling rays while casting a cool, web-like shadow, pockets of sunlight seeping through.  The morning breeze greets me with tranquility rather than menacing temps.  If just for this fleeting moment, all seems right with the world. I can see the beauty of God in the minute details of the leaves and the clouds and the birds. But soon reality will catch up, and life will resume at a dizzying pace.

But first reflection time.  My favorite.  Summer is a time for new.  Newly availed time, new ideas, new schedules, new goals, new experiences.  And this summer didn't disappoint.  Vacations, running, new friends? It's been an adventure, some of which is just too fun not to share.

1. Parasailing in Destin, FL.  I have a Guatemalan friend whose "Abuelita" described parasailing as "delicious," and she was right.  We did take our GoPro up with us, and maybe one day we'll actually upload the video somewhere but for now you'll have to take my word for it.  If you've ever been, you know that they put you in a harness and clip you to the parachute where you are lifted off the back of the boat.  On the way up, I was very aware that these little carabiner hooks were the only thing keeping me from plunging 400 feet into shark-infested waters.  After a while, my fingers finally relaxed their grip from the harness and my knuckles regained their usual color. I settled in for the ride long enough to sing Aladdin's "A Whole New World" (I mean, who wouldn't?!).  Everything just felt still and quiet suspended  in time above the earth.  While it was difficult to drive away the thought of imminent death, the views were incredible - the blended colors of the sea and sky and beach reminded me of the way a snow cone tastes. Delicious, right?!

2. Kayaking in Destin. Specifically kayaking with a spouse. To anyone seeking marriage, I would strongly recommend tandem kayaking as part of your pre-marital counseling.  You learn a lot about yourself as well as your partner.  As we began paddling out through the incessant waves, we couldn't quite get our rhythm down.  Since I was in the front, I couldn't see how many strokes Kyle was giving from the back. I paddled two strokes to the right to his one on the left.  Instead of gliding out to the deep blue, we paddled in circles.  Then, out of nowhere, we saw a manatee! A real live sea cow drifting right before us!  Of course, we tried to follow the dark shadow; instead, more circles. So, we conceded, waving goodbye to our new fat friend as he floated across the shallow ocean. Frustration took hold and soon, Kyle took the reigns solo, assigning me GoPro duty.  This worked out well for me since my job had gotten much less strenuous and a lot more fun.  All of a sudden, we weren't paddling a merry-go-round but were headed to our destination: the deep blue. I took the opportunity to record the dolphin we saw and commentate in my best Steve Irwin voice.  Eventually, we had to turn around, and since Kyle's strength was dissolving, I had to regain my responsibility. Apparently, I don't know how to paddle because as soon as I started, the circling resumed.  Frustration ensued again and we were forced to figure out how to work together.  Lord, bless my husband.  We did make it back alive, and I will say that we did NOT capsize.  That's gotta count for something, right?

3. New church.  Over the course of the summer we joined a new church and new home group, and we are so excited to be a part of them!  God's working big through them in our lives.

4. Kentucky.  Just a couple weekends ago, to finish out the summer, we paid a visit to Kyle's Aunt and Uncle in Kentucky where we got a preview of the country life.  Corn fields, Fishin', swimmin', shooting' guns, makin' s'mores - that's my kind of living.  Did I mention 68 degree temps?  Be jealous.

From acclimating myself to a new running regimen to kayaking with manatees to fishing to making new friends, it's been a productive season. At the same time, our new couch cushions are well contoured to the shape of my rear.  Yes, summer also calls for laziness, and it would be wrong not to oblige.  AND I DON'T FEEL A BIT GUILTY.

Now, as all good things must, summer is ending.  From most teachers, you may hear a chorus of the school-starting blues, but I am ready to get back into my room and start preparing.  I'm ready to make some changes.  I'm ready to build relationships.  I'm ready to make a fool of myself and learn and write and blog and love.  While I've enjoyed my season of rest, I'm ready to get back in the game - to get back to my second home. It may feel a little like the kayak again, wavy and inconsistent, going in circles, getting frustrated, but that is life.  Bring on the challenge, 2015/16 school year.  I'm ready for you.

1 comment:

  1. You shouldn't feel guilty! We earn our summers, girl ;) I am one of the members of the chorus who's singing back-to-school blues...but I know I'll be fine once I get into a rhythm. Happy new school year to you!!

    ReplyDelete